The Walkmen & Father John Misty @ Newport.
All December, I was planning on actually making my very first top 10 albums of the year list. And then I didn’t do it. So now, because I’d feel weird making my best of 2008 top 10 when we’re already into 2009, let’s just say that these are some records (in alphabetical order, because that’s the classy way to do it) that came out last year that I really liked.
- Blitzen Trapper//Furr
- Bon Iver//For Emma, Forever Ago
- The Cool Kids//The Bake Sale
- Cut Copy//In Ghost Colours
- Diplo & Santogold//Top Ranking
- Friendly Fires//Friendly Fires
- Frightened Rabbit//The Midnight Organ Fight
- Fucked Up//The Chemistry of Common Life
- Girl Talk//Feed The Animals
- King Khan & The Shrines//The Supreme Genius of King Khan & The Shrines
- Lykke Li//Youth Novels
- Man Man//Rabbit Habits
- Marnie Stern//This Is It…
- No Age//Nouns
- Ra Ra Riot//The Rhumb Line
- TV on the Radio//Dear Science
- Wale//The Mixtape About Nothing
- The Walkmen//You & Me
NOTE: I know at the top of this post, I was talking about my top 10 of the year. And then I made this list by looking at everything dated 2008 in iTunes. And now that I’m looking at all these records, I’d have a hard time whittling it down to just 10. So, umm, here’s my top 21 of the year.
The Walkmen//”The Rat”
This is such a great song. They didn’t play it when I saw them in February, and I think their singer Hamilton said someone threatened to kill them after that show specifically because of the omission of “The Rat.” I’m so glad they made up for it last week, regardless of whether or not they were just doing it out of concern for their own safety.